INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
If you visit our website to browse, read, or download information:
Your web browser automatically sends us (and we may retain) information such as the:
- domain through which you access the Internet (e.g., yourServiceProvider.com if you use a commercial Internet service provider, or yourSchool.edu if you use an Internet account from your school);
- Internet Protocol address of the computer you are using;
- Type of browser sofware and operating system you are using;
- Date, time, and lenght of time you access our site;
- The pages you visit on this site; and
- The Internet address of the site from which you linked directly to our site
- We will use this information as aggregate data to help us maintain this site, e.g., to determine the number of visitos to different sections of our site, to identify which information is of interest, to determine technical design specifications, to ensure the site is working properly, to ensure the site’s security, and to help us make our site more accessible and useful.
- We will not use this information to identify individuals, except for site security or law enforcement purposes.
- We will not obtain personally-identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information.
OTHER INFORMATION WE COLLECT
If you choose to identify yourself (or otherwise provide us with personal information) when you use our online forms:
- If you request information, services, or assistance, we may disclose your personal information to those third parties that (in our judgment) are appropriate in order to fulfill your request. If, when you provide us with such information, you specify that you do not want us to disclose the information to third parties: we will honor your request. Note, however, that if you do not provide such information, it may be impossible for us to refer, respond to or fulfill your request
- If your communication relates to a law enforcement matter, we may disclose the information to law enforcement agencies that we deem appropriate.
- Email addresses provided for the Office of the House Historian’s monthly e-newsletter will be used solely for that purpose.
HOW LONG WE KEEP INFORMATION
We may keep information that will collect for an unlimited period of time.
Please note that electronic communication, particularly email, is not necessarily secure against interception. Please do not send sensitive data (e.g., Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers) by email or web form.
For site security purposes this government computer system employs sofware programs to monitor network traffic. Anyone using this system consents to the monitoring of their use by system or security personnel. Unauthorized use, tampering with or modification of this system—or its supporting hardware or sofware—may violate federal or other statutes and may subject the violator to criminal and civil penalties. In the event of unauthorized intrusion, all relevant information regarding possible violation of law may be provided to law enforcement officials.
RIGHTS & REPRODUCTION
Information on the Office of the Clerk website is in the public domain. You are welcome to distribute paper copies of or links to pages on the site unless otherwise specified, using citation information provided. View further information on rights and reproductions.
The Office of the Clerk website links to other websites. The Office is only responsible for the accuracy and presentation of information on sites under its management. The Office of the Clerk and the U.S. House of Representatives are not responsible for the content of linked sites. Once visitors use a link on this site to access another site, they are subject to the privacy and security policies of that site.
If you have questions or comments about this notice, please contact the Office of the Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.